DIY Doctor

is this spark a 'cowboy'?

Postby scuba » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:49 am

hi, i was wonderin if any1 can help. i am getting faulty electrics sorted out in my house by a man sent by the landlord but i'm not sure if he is part p registered or even if he needs to be! i'd be grateful if some1 can advise me in plain english as i'm not very technical :oops:
also if he is required to be part p registered, is there a database of registered persons i can refer to?
plz plz help me to clarify this. thankyou xxx :?
Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:20 am


Simply Build It

Postby ericmark » Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:26 pm

He does not need to be Part P registered he can inform the council before doing Part P work. As to data base think there are 12 or more organizations allowed to accept registration so you would need to ask them all. It is the Land Lords responsibility to ensure he is able to complete the work.
Part P is required for anything new in a kitchen or bathroom although he can replace things without requiring it. And to replace a consumer unit. Or to fit an new circuit i.e. wired all the way back to the consumer unit.
A complete inspection of your whole electric system and a full report does not require Part P.

Forgetting about Part P there is a recommendation that the regulations contained within the British standard BS 7671 should be followed. It is not law but may be used in a court of law to prove negligent etc. So it may as well be law. This says all electrical work must be documented. But this must be given to the person ordering the work. 632.3 So he has no need to tell you anything and that is common as if he were to tell you for example you have a Code 4 failure it could get you all worried and have you demanding that the Land Lord corrects it but all it says is that it is not wired to the new standards and most likely there is no problem.

So apart for seeing something wrong you can't really check up on the man. If he has done something which is covered by Part P then you should be sent a "Building Regulations compliance certificate" within 30 days of the work being completed. This is the only form sent to the occupant rather than Land Lord 1.19 but even then 1.20 says in the case of rented properties, the certificate may be sent to the person ordering the work with a copy sent also to the occupant.

So you have very little you can do. Why do you think the electrician is doing something wrong?

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics