DIY Doctor

Is Using PTFE After WD40 a Good Idea?

Postby kieran40075 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:32 am

Like an idiot, I recently 'lubricated' some locks with WD40 before learning that this isn't a good idea. I'm now planning on using a PTFE spray on the same locks (I was going to go with GT85), but will this work on a lock that's recently been sprayed with WD40, or will it just make it worse? Should I maybe wait a while before using the PTFE?
kieran40075
Progress to next rank:
25%

Sponsor

Simply Build It

Postby silverfox56 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:25 am

Are you talking about a Yale lock or similar and you are lubricating the part of the lock where the key goes in ? If so, yes, I'd leave it for a while. Often graphite powder is the suggested lubricant.
silverfox56
Progress to next rank:
50%

Postby kieran40075 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:37 pm

silverfox56 wrote:Are you talking about a Yale lock or similar and you are lubricating the part of the lock where the key goes in ? If so, yes, I'd leave it for a while. Often graphite powder is the suggested lubricant.

I've used the WD40 in the keyhole of a UPVC door (so a Euro lock I guess?), and also in the handles and latch mechanism. And I've also used it in the handles and latch of a few non-locking internal doors.

I've heard about graphite but it seems a bit messy, and I've read that if you've already used WD40 the graphite will just get gummed up in it. So I was hoping that a non-dry PTFE spray would penetrate through the WD40 better; I've seen plenty of sources online that recommend PTFE for locks.
kieran40075
Progress to next rank:
25%

Postby Brendan2010 » Fri May 10, 2019 10:48 am

I agree best to wait a while and let the WD40 ware off a bit. I had same issue and used DURA-SLIP PTFE spray which worked really well
Brendan2010
Progress to next rank:
25%

Sort by
Order by

• DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!