DIY Doctor

Issue with built in wardrobe doors and finding the right hinge

Postby DominicWolf » Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:54 am

I've recently built a set of built in wardrobes either side of a chimney stack in our bedroom.

Upon completion I realised I'd made a big rookie error. I hadn't allowed any space for the drawers to open once the doors were attached.

I think I've found a solution but don't know what hinge I need to complete the job.

The doors I've created sit within the cupboard like inset ones do as opposed to just being on top like some kitchen cupboards work.

What I need is a hinge that will allow me to open the cupboard from an inset position to the outside of the frame so the drawers can open freely.

Please see attached images for reference. Does anyone know what hinge would help do that?

The doors are 36mm thick so it would have to allow for that when they are fully open.

The top doors I've used standard flush hinges as there is nothing to slide out for them and I was hoping to do the same for the main doors but forgot about the drawers.

Any help would be much appreciated?
Attachments
IMG_20200417_093718_resized_20200418_084851035.jpg
Cupboard door open how I'd like it to so drawers can open.
IMG_20200417_093634_resized_20200418_084913704.jpg
Cupboard sat into the wardrobe.
DominicWolf
Progress to next rank:
25%

Sponsor

Gorilla Glue heavy duty grab adhesive

Postby stoneyboy » Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:35 pm

Hi Dominicwolf,
Suggest you try an internet search for amerock cranked flush cabinet hinges and see if any of those will suit.
Regards S
stoneyboy

Postby DominicWolf » Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:44 am

Brilliant, many thanks! Will have a look.
DominicWolf
Progress to next rank:
25%

Sort by
Order by

• DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!