Issues with back up in boiler condensate drain from sink tra
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

signman625
Labourer
Labourer

Issues with back up in boiler condensate drain from sink tra

by signman625 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:24 pm

Hi There,

I have recently had a combi gas boiler installed along with a nice new kitchen.

The condensate drain from the boiler joins in a T piece opposite the drain from the kitchen sink above the trap, below this is 2 appliance connectors (dish washer and washing machine) and finally through a P trap and off to main drain.

I had to disconnect the condensate drain from the boiler when a warning on the boiler alerted me to a problem with the drain. When I disconnected the pipe it was backed right up the drain pipe. I have had a bucket under the sink to collect the water while I evaluate the situation and it is filling weekly.

While emptying the bucket today I put my hand over where the condensate drain connects and used a container to put the water down the sink. It was at this point I noticed what may be the cause of the problem...There was a vacuum created as water went down the sink leaving a deposit of water in the side of the T piece that connects the condensate drain. It seemed odd to me to have a vacuum above the trap?!?

Do you think this is the cause of my problem and if so, is there a recommended fix for this problem (if it is a problem). I am aware of things like Durgo valves on w/c drains. Should I need something similar?

Your help would be appreciated.

Chris

It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:06 pm