Issues With Flue From Neighbouring Extension
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Rocker72
Labourer
Labourer

Issues With Flue From Neighbouring Extension

by Rocker72 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:06 pm

Next door has built an extension my back double door is not in photo but to the right! The flue is as shown and we in use have a steam train going right across the back. It’s making my doors dirty and I am fed up with it. Is this something I have to put up with is it normal to be stuck out so far and near to house??

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Issues With Flue From Neighbouring Extension

by ericmark » Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:45 pm

Clean air act refers to "Prohibition of dark smoke from chimneys." so if it is discolouring things then it would seem to be against the act.

However where I live we have steam trains which pump out loads of smoke and blow their whistle before they move for heath and safety reasons.

There is no picture, but I would be wary of involving environmental health, there is no way to un-say things, and once they get their teeth in they don't let go, so let him with no crime throw the first stone, how clean is your flue?

DaveyTed
Apprentice
Apprentice

by DaveyTed » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:06 pm

There are regulations for positioning a flue in relation to windows, doors etc and proximity of other walls. If flue gases could enter your property through an open door/window it suggests a fault. Flue outlet positions are normally detailed in any boiler installation instructions. Otherwise would a plume management kit divert the emissions in a better direction.

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:15 pm

If you know the model of boiler he has installed download the installer manual and it will give precise dimensions of the clearances required to comply with regulation.

If you get on with your neighbour, mention it to him. If nothing else, out of politeness, he ought to fit a plume management kit to lift the outlet higher. It happens a lot. Do remember though, all of what you see coming out of the flue is simply water vapour.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1