Joining Cables behind Plasterboard
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
martynfogg
Apprentice
Apprentice

by martynfogg » Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:00 pm

Hello,

I need to move a socket around a metre lower and therefore need to extend the cable, which is a spur from a socket in the room above. The access from above is very difficult so running a completely new cable would be quite disruptive.

What is the correct way to extend a cable behind plasterboard? I think part P says that all connections have to be 'accesible', but what does that mean exactly. Is it acceptable to use a junction box, if the wall is then plastered over?

Many thanks,

Martyn

ericmark

by ericmark » Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:40 pm

The type of join will determine if it needs to be accessible. There are now JB's that use a spring clip arrangement and can be used where inaccessible also there are crimp and solder connections.
I would consider where the sheaf is removed then the cable should be placed in a device that replaces the sheaf as well as joining the wires together for example a junction box with cable grips or epoxy shrink sleeve.
There are so many options I would advise a visit to local electrical whole sale outlet not a DIY outlet and ask and then decide what is best in your case.
It will not have screws in it though as screws can work lose.
Eric

martynfogg
Apprentice
Apprentice

by martynfogg » Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:45 pm

Thanks, that's really helpful.

How about soldering the wires together and putting sleeving over each of the earth, live and neutral and then sleeving over the whole lot?

ericmark

by ericmark » Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:45 pm

OK if you can solder Western role method is what I use but I am a little reserved in recommending solder as so many people can't solder.
Eric

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:42 pm