Joining Legs to Lovely Oak Worktop
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Thorski
Labourer
Labourer

Joining Legs to Lovely Oak Worktop

by Thorski » Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:45 pm

Hi, new to forum and a newbie to wood work too.

I've just had a new room finished in the back garden that's going to be my study/games room.
Wife has bought me a lovely oak work top 2m x 620mm x 40mm with a couple of oak legs.

Question is, I've bought a bunch of galvanised steel brackets (similar to these found in the link below) 4 for each leg. Before I go doing anything, are these brackets going to be enough to stabilise the table top?
We want it to be moveable, for the most part it will be attached to the wall, but incase we want to move the room around we want it to be stable if we push it.

If this isn't appropriate, is there anything you can recommend an idiot like me to make it so?
I've just bought a table saw, so I will be able to do some cutting of stuffs.

I've also attached a picture of said table and legs (two more legs on order).

Thanks in advance.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Heavy-Angle-Br ... B01DU9OOB8
Attachments
IMG_20200402_155134_resize_13.jpg

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Joining Legs to Lovely Oak Worktop

by stoneyboy » Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:52 pm

Hi thorski,
Yes, provided there is a bracket on every side of each leg they will do the job, if a little crudely. Suggest you use stainless screws and drill pilot holes or you will split the top. Avoid screwing into or near to, the joins on the worktop at all costs.
Regards S.

Sandtree
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Sandtree » Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:53 pm

Where have you bought the wooden aspects of the table from? What will you be using the table for?

Ultimately the brackets with the right screws will hold the table together but I suspect it wont be the most stable table ever and wouldnt be my preferred solution. That said Ikea sell many tables with weaker leg connections that get rave reviews.

If you look at most wooden tables there will be a skirt (boards connecting the top of the legs together) and on more stable/taller tables also stretchers (boards connecting a lower part of the legs together - often in a H shape. Maybe the seller of the table parts offer these too?

Thorski
Labourer
Labourer

by Thorski » Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:25 am

I actually went ahead and built an apron.
Attachments
Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:40 am