Joist cut too short - is this safe?
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
brucephipps
Apprentice
Apprentice

Joist cut too short - is this safe?

by brucephipps » Thu May 08, 2008 12:06 am

Hi, I wonder if anyone can give me some advice on this.

I recently had to take some floorboards up, in a bedroom extension, and discovered a joist that, to me, has been cut too short for the joist hanger. I always thought that joists were cut almost flush to the supporting beam, leaving a gap of only a few millimetres for the hanger, but this is about 20mm. Is this safe? If not, is there anything I can do to fix it?

Thanks
Bruce

ALDA
Foreman
Foreman

by ALDA » Thu May 08, 2008 11:04 am

B'

IT DEPENDS ON HOW MUCH OF THE JOIST IS SUPPORTED BY THE HANGER (OVERLAP?) (IS HANGER NAILED OR SCREWED TO JOIST?).

IF THERE IS A CHANCE THAT THE JOIST MIGHT SLIP OFF THE HANGER THEN SOME REMEDIAL ACTION SHOULD BE TAKEN TO ADD EXTRA SUPPORT.

YOU COULD FIX ANGLE BRACKETS OR BATTENS TO JOIST AND BEAM AT EITHER SIDE AND/OR UNDERNEATH.

ALDA.

brucephipps
Apprentice
Apprentice

by brucephipps » Thu May 08, 2008 8:45 pm

Hello Alda

There’s about 40mm supported by the hanger, and the joist is fixed to it by 2 screws, one either side. The sides of the hanger come about a third of the way up the joist, and this is where the screws are fitted. The hanger itself doesn’t seem to be particularly heavy duty, perhaps 1mm thick and I can bend it quite easily. It’s fixed to the supporting beam by 8 screws, 4 either side. Hope that makes sense.

Thanks

Bruce

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Thu May 08, 2008 10:29 pm

or double up the last part of the joist into another hanger.

Cheers

ALDA
Foreman
Foreman

by ALDA » Fri May 09, 2008 1:18 pm

B,

I DON'T THINK YOU HAVE ANYTHING TO FRET ABOUT!!!

IF IT IS PREYING ON YOUR MIND, THEN YOU HAVE ALL THE SUGGESTIONS YOU NEED TO RESOLVE YOUR PERCIEVED PROBLEM.

REGARDS,

ALDA.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:27 pm