JOIST HANGERS V WALL PLATES
Information, help and advice on many architecture, self build and design problems and issues

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
muso58
Labourer
Labourer

JOIST HANGERS V WALL PLATES

by muso58 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:05 pm

hi im in middle of building a side extension on my house garage with room over . I,m now at point of putting RSJs up
1 catnic cxl240 across double garage opening to support outer leaf of natural stone ,with 75mm blockwork behind with a 2nd rsj behind, to support 100mm block inner leaf. the 1st floor joists run 90 deg to this
the plans are a bit vague in relation to how the joists at opposite end terminate (back garage wall).
Plans I think are stating using "catnic twr joist hangers " with turn down flanges to hook over masonary " Does this mean i am not having to sit joists on top of wall with wall plates underneath.
Just seems a bit less substantial using hangers ,when theres a nice wall to sit joists on top of.Not able to find any ref to this catnic hanger ,anyone maybe suggest an equivalent for this application
Any help or advice would be appreciated .As you can probably tell im a resonably competent DIYer
Cheers for looking

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:11 pm

muso58,
If the back wall of the garage is a cavity wall sit the joists on the inner leaf.
If the back wall is single skin use build-in joist hangers.
end

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:01 pm