Kitchen cupboard doors
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
richie
Labourer
Labourer

Kitchen cupboard doors

by richie » Sun Jun 24, 2007 9:10 pm

I need to get a hole 35mm circ and15mm deep in some new doors I have had made.
I need to know what tool I should use. I thought a 35mm flat drill bit would do it but that would go through the wood before I had the depth I need.
The reason I need this is I have recessed hinges
should I get different hinges or is there a tool that will do this job for me

wack
Apprentice
Apprentice

by wack » Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:02 pm

Hi What you need is a 35mm forstner drill bit, but be carefull when using it in an electric drill as they can tend to wander. Try it on a scrap piece of board or timber same thickness as your new doors to get use to it. It may pay you to ring a small local joinery company for a price for them to drill them for you as they should have a pillar drill and forstner drill bit to carry out the work.

biggles111
Apprentice
Apprentice

35mm hinge cutting

by biggles111 » Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:25 am

Hi there are a couple of options, first as allready stated the forstner bit , next an expansion bit ( basically an adjustable forstner) and then there is a propper hinge cutter . All can be seen on line at Screwfix.com just take your pick as all are suitable. Practice on some scrap timber before setting about the doors so you get to know how they cut and what depth you need to achive , Good Luck

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:30 am