kitchen diner wiring
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
mars
Labourer
Labourer

kitchen diner wiring

Post by mars » Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:38 pm

When adding 2 wall lights from an existing ring main socket on a kitchen/diner wall, is an RCD required when the distance from the sink is over 3 metres.

ericmark

Post by ericmark » Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:22 pm

depends how the cables are run! And what type of cables are used. If Ali-tube cables to BS8436 are used then a RCD will not be needed but if twin and earth is use and buried less than 50mm in the walls or ceiling then yes you need a RCD.
Eric

mars
Labourer
Labourer

Post by mars » Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:00 am

Hi Eric, thanks for your response. :D
The existing socket ring is 350mm from the floor and I propose to put the RCD next to it and run straight up through a new switch to one lamp and also from the RCD I propose to go horizontal and then vertical through a swith to another lamp. These will be buried in plaster under steel capping. I have read that 450mm from the floor is the new requirement but the existing is approx 350mm. Will that be a problem.
Or would it be an option to go straight up through one switch to a lamp and then straight across to the other lamp. Athough it would be right in the picture zone, i.e. people with hammers and nails.
We are not in a location that could be flooded and our water company would struggle to supply enough water.

ericmark

Post by ericmark » Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:43 am

http://www2.theiet.org/Publish/WireRegs ... itions.pdf is out dated but does show zones. Or http://www2.theiet.org/Publish/WireRegs ... _walls.pdf A cable installed under a floor or above a ceiling shall be run in such a position that it is not liable to be damaged by contact with the floor or the ceiling or their fixings. A cable passing through a joist within a floor or ceiling construction or through a ceiling support (e.g. under floorboards), shall: (ii) incorporate an earthed metallic covering which complies with the requirements of these Regulations for a protective conductor of the circuit concerned. the cable complying with BS 5467, BS 6346. BS 6724, BS 7846, BS EN 60702-1 or BS 8436, or be installed in a zone within 150 mm from the top of the wall or partition or within 150 mm of an angle formed by two adjoining walls or partitions. Where the cable is connected to a point, accessory or switchgear on any surface of the wall or partition, the cable may be installed in a zone either horizontally or vertically, to the point, accessory or switchgear. Where the location of the accessory, point or switchgear can be determined from the reverse side, a zone formed on one side of a wall of 100 mm thickness or less or partition of 100 mm thickness or less extends to the reverse side.
Far easier to use BS 8436 Ali-Tube cable i.e. GuardianTM, EarthshieldTM, FlexishieldTM, or AfumexTM no need for capping then.
As to heights only valid on new build and is Part M not wiring regulation there is a Link in Projects to Part P from that you will find Part M
Eric

mars
Labourer
Labourer

Post by mars » Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:00 pm

Thanks Eric, I will look into those cables. The wall is T & G boarded over breezblock at the moment and I propose to remove the boards and plaster the wall. :D

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:12 pm