DIY Doctor

Kitchen Mixer Tap

Postby Spanner » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:33 am

My Mixer tap in the kitchen has very low pressure on the hot water side. It is now down to a small trickle. All the other hot water taps in the house are fine. Will it be anything to do with valve in the tap? If so how do I go about replacing it, would it be the same as replacing a normal pillar tap valve?
Rank: Apprentice
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2007 7:53 pm


Simply Build It

Postby stoneyboy » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:39 pm

You've probably got an airlock in the pipework leading to the tap, find a plastic cap which is a tight fit on the end of the tap but leaves the end clear. Turn on the hot then cold water and it should blow the airlock out.
Rank: Project Manager
Posts: 4053
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:44 pm

Postby rosebery » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:45 pm

You have low flow rate rather than low pressure.

If its a traditional technoogy tap replace the head gear - although it might be worth removing it and just replacing the washer. It's possible this may have perished, disintegrated and is obstructing the water flow.

If its a modern quarter turn ceramic disc type then you'll be looking at replacing the cartridge.

Both are as easy as replacing the head gear in a pillar tap. Just make sure the cold water supply is turned off as well as the hot! Hot and cold cross over in a mixer tap!
Rank: Project Manager
Posts: 2022
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:55 pm

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics