DIY Doctor

Main navigation

Kitchen Oven cooker control unit location query

Postby JohnJohn » Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:32 am

I have applied to my LABC to install my kitchen wiring myself and have them inspect and test it.
My new kitchen design is a wall of units with a fridge, freezer and oven (3.7kW).
I have an island with hob and sink. The island is the only worktop space.
There's no wall near the wall units/oven as it's open plan. There is a cupboard above the oven unit, with a drawer below.

The kitchen designer said electricians put a grid panel of switches above the oven housing unit, but to locate the hob isolator under the sink.

Before I start routing cables, I'd like advice on cooker control unit locations please.
Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:08 am


Simply Build It

Postby ericmark » Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:26 pm

514.1.1 Except where there is no possibility of confusion, a label or other suitable means of identification shall be provided to indicate the purpose of each item of switchgear and controlgear. Where the operator cannot observe the operation of switchgear and controlgear and where this might lead to danger, a suitable indicator shall be fixed in a position visible to the operator.

Placing an isolator out of sight may be considered to not comply with the above. Some people seem to have some funny ideas and don't read the regulations but jump to conclusions and just the other week I had to get out the book to show an inspector when there was a sub main supplying the kitchen there is no need for an isolator as well as the RCBO. So unless you want to have a confrontation with building inspector I would ask him what he will accept.

Making and submitting a detailed plan is always good practice. If you can say with hand on heart "I told you my intentions on <date> and you had no objections what has changed?" Then often they will back down. But where you submit the plan in wide general terms then of course they can and will object when they think it does not comply. Even if it does.

Also I have been to a number of jobs where the LABC did not realise they were to be passing the electrics. So do make it plain what you are expecting from LABC. The rules have changed slightly and now they can pass on costs of employing a third party to test your installation. And what they will accept as to showing you are competent also seems strange. They would not accept my son who had his C&G 2391 but allowed me to sign as I had a degree in Electrical and Electronic engineering. Yet the latter teaches nothing about inspection and testing. I also had a C&G 2391 but they didn't know that.

The hob normally has an isolator and a connection unit. The connection unit very likely not visible once everything is installed.
Rank: Project Manager
Posts: 2565
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:49 pm
Location: Llanfair Caereinion, Mid Wales.

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics