Kitchen regulations
If you want to know how your DIY projects could be affected by building and planning regulations, click here to post questions and view answers

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
paulsandie
Labourer
Labourer

Kitchen regulations

by paulsandie » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:25 pm

I'm selling (or tying to sell) my flat. It has a small internal kitchen that was there when I bought it. I put in a suspended pine ceiling, and new kitchen units. The doorway is into the hall but there's no door, never has been. Buyer's surveyor says that due to building regulations I have to fit a fire door and fireproof the ceiling. Also says extractor fan is a bathroom fan and must be replaced with a kitchen one (think it may be wider diameter, may be a problem). Also says I have to sort the plumbing as there's a gurgling noise when water drains down sink (water flows freely, not sure if minor blockage or venting problem).
Do I really HAVE to do all of this ?

DevilDamo
Tradesman
Tradesman

by DevilDamo » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:46 pm

How and why does the buyers' solicitor think they can tell people what to do?

If the works were completed before you moved in, then it's nothing to do with you. And depending on how long ago the works were completed, Building Control would not be interested, nor would they take any enforcement action.

You moved into the property with the kitchen, pretty much as it is now bar a few "minor" internal alterations but nothing that would warrant a building regulation application... in my opinion.

As for the extractor fan. Kitchens require a mechanical extract fan, capable of extracting 30 litres per second if combined with the cooker hood or 60 litres per second elsewhere. Bathrooms usually have a 15 litre per second fan.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1