All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
dazzathedrummer
Apprentice
Apprentice

Kitchen Sink Waste Height Issue With new Sink

Post by dazzathedrummer » Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:45 pm

Hi

I'm just in the process of fitting a new kitchen sink. The fittings supplied are giving me a waste outlet that is lower than the existing outlet pipe. I need to buy a piece to bridge the gap - but I'm just wondering if the outlet is too high for the trap - as you can see from the picture, the outlet is only a couple of inches lower than the sink itself.

Will this be ok or do I need to move the outlet (or buy different fittings that allow a higher outlet)?
(also bear in mind that I didn't have any problems with the old sink and the trap was maybe three inches higher.)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Scottv3
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Kitchen Sink Waste Height Issue With new Sink

Post by Scottv3 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:10 pm

Hi,

You could stick with the current trap and attach it as it is. It wouldn't cause in issue with the actual flow of the water.. however, you would have waste water stuck in the trap (the bit that is lower than the waste).

Alternately, you could buy a shallow trap? If you bought two of those and joined them by the waste trap by buying the separate components and connecting them yourself.

I'd probably do the latter personally.

Scott

dazzathedrummer
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by dazzathedrummer » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:07 pm

Thanks for the reply!

I've now got it all connected up and the waste does flow away with no problems (also no problem with the dishwasher connected).

As you pointed out though - the waste does sit quite high up....about halfway up the two downward pointing pipes.

I'll see how this goes for a bit but may well have a go at your second option of having two separate traps. I've re-positioned the trap to go behind the outlet pipe since the photo, but even so, it's taking up quite a lot of cupboard space (which will probably mean that it'll get knocked quite a lot).

FlangeLuber
Labourer
Labourer

Post by FlangeLuber » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:28 am

Hello Dazza -

From your photo, it looks like you had the exact same problem which I'm now faced with. In fact, the waste kit looks identical to the one I have - did you get it from B&Q, perchance? Anyway, I'm wondering how you raised the trap outlet to the right height to connect to the waste pipe - did you have to buy some more bits and pieces? Or did you end up installing two shallow traps, and if so, how did you join them together to connect to the waste pipe? Any advice would be really appreciated.

Cheers,
Simon

dazzathedrummer
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by dazzathedrummer » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:42 am

Yes, it from B&Q, it’s the one recommended for the sink!

I chopped it down a bit and had to creat a something to get the waste to go almost a foot up hill (!) out of other bits I had.
I still haven’t come up with a solution. It does work ok, there’s no smell or anything and it drains ok - it’s just the ridiculous amount of space that it takes up.

I bought one of these....
[url]https://www.toolstation.com/espace-extra-flat-sink-trap-1-12/p54424?store=P3&utm_source=googleshopping&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=googleshoppingfeed&gclid=CjwKCAjwk93rBRBLEiwAcMapUZBMi2Y35XNwhvqzZGPLQ6qEnVu1Bl_1uW7OOo5iK6Ki4cVM64jM4hoC50sQAvD_BwE[\url]
...it looks perfect for the job, the outlet is just the right height....but when I got it home, the sinks are quite a bit wider than the device can go to. I could extent it....but then I read some of the reviews on it. Some people are saying that, due to the size of the trap, one sink fills up as the other drains!

I don’t know what to do - I’ve had a builder round for a different job and he said a plumber wouldn’t touch it as it’s too small a job.

FlangeLuber
Labourer
Labourer

Post by FlangeLuber » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:18 am

Thanks for the reply, Dazza - I also found your thread about this problem on DIYNot, so I've seen the photo of what you ended up having to lash together. I'm intending to get one of those McAlpine SK2 double trap systems and see if I can end up with something a bit neater - it has very positive reviews on Screwfix. I'm afraid I'll still end up having to drill a new hole lower down the wall for the outlet pipe. But I've just taken out the old sink and units this morning, so there's no going back now ;-)

FlangeLuber
Labourer
Labourer

Post by FlangeLuber » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:39 am

Hello Dazza -

I succeeded this morning in getting the wastes connected up and working with no leaks - I used the McAlpine SK2 double trap kit from Screwfix, but I still had to cut down the rear leg of the trap and adapt it to make a new joint to the elbow to the outlet pipe in order to end up with this arrangement. Maybe this solution would work for you?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:34 am