Kitchens and Bathrooms Dillemma
information and advice on general building topics, builders merchants, problem builders, DIY Stores etc....

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
splatisheroonie
Labourer
Labourer

Kitchens and Bathrooms Dillemma

Post by splatisheroonie » Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:30 pm

My local council are carrying out a kitchens and bathroom units upgrade.

Unfortunately my kitchen is fully tiled onto plasterboard walls and my bathroom is partially tiled too.

My dilemma is that the council are NOT paying out ANY compensation or redecorating allowances so I am trying to decide whether to hire a builder to come in and remove and redo the kitchen walls at quite an expense or to just leave the tiles as they are and hope that when this work is carried out the damage will be minimal.
I tried to remove some tiles from an obscure part of the kitchen wall but it is obvious that the damage is going to be quite extensive any patchwork repairs will just weaken the walls where wall units are to be placed.

I have also been looking at the stick on tiles but can't get hold of any free samples to see if that is an option to cover the walls once work is done.

If anyone has bought and used these stick on tiles I would appreciate the feedback about them.

all help and advice greatly appreciated.

Cheers

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

tile removal

Post by welsh brickie » Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:49 am

when removing tiles use a flat scraper and a hammer once the tiles are removed ,use a steam stripper on the adhesive do not try and remove tile adhesive with hammer and chisel you will end up making holes in the
wall.
The steam stripper will do all the work for you it turns the adhesive to a runny substance then just scrape off.

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: tile removal

Post by rosebery » Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:04 am

[quote="welsh brickie"]when removing tiles use a flat scraper and a hammer once the tiles are removed.......................it turns the adhesive to a runny substance then just scrape off."

Sorry but if the tiles are direct onto plasterboard as the OP suggests this'll never work! In any case it's all probably a bit late now.

Cheers

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:12 pm