Knocking down External wall into a conservatory
Re-generate an old or tired space and give it a fresh breath of life. Click here for answers, information and tips

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
RoyalPhoebe
Labourer
Labourer

Knocking down External wall into a conservatory

by RoyalPhoebe » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:53 am

Hello - am a newbie here and would like some general advice on walls.

I want to buy a house which has a long narrow conservatory next to the kitchen which is too small for us. We would like to knock down the wall between the kitchen and the conservatory to make it into one large kitchen/diner. Currently there is a door between the two rooms and one door from the conservatory into the garden. The wall was an external wall (before the conservatory was put on) and there is a bedroom above it so I expect it is a load bearing wall. We have a budget for any renovations but just wanted to know if we would get permission to knock through and what this entails. Also what would be the cost. Too many questions but hope someone knows the answers. Thanks.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:03 pm

RoyalPhoebe,
Very unlikely that the conservatory is adequate to enclose a habitable room so you'll need to upgrade this plus the structural work to the outside wall.
You don't give a size for the conservatory so cost could be anything from £3-25,000.
end

RoyalPhoebe
Labourer
Labourer

by RoyalPhoebe » Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:30 am

stoneyboy wrote:RoyalPhoebe,
Very unlikely that the conservatory is adequate to enclose a habitable room so you'll need to upgrade this plus the structural work to the outside wall.
You don't give a size for the conservatory so cost could be anything from £3-25,000.
end

Thanks for your reply. The conservatory is brick built upto waist height then glass upper walls and sloping glass roof. It is 18' by 6'. Out of interest what is entailed in upgrading the building and the structural work to the outside wall. Thanks.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:37 pm

RoyalPhoebe,
You should be applying for Building Regs approval and what is required will depend on how your conversion is viewed. I would have expected at least double or triple glazing plus insulation of the walls. The existing outside wall will need a Universal Column installed to support the wall above the opening.
end

DevilDamo
Tradesman
Tradesman

by DevilDamo » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:30 pm

stoneyboy wrote:RoyalPhoebe,
The existing outside wall will need a Universal Column installed to support the wall above the opening.
end

Why a UC? It'd have to be pretty big to support a cavity wall. Common practice is to install 2no. UB's (i.e. one for each skin).

PaulCox
Labourer
Labourer

by PaulCox » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:35 pm

I had a similar situatnion in my house in Harrow.
I had some polish pol-trade builders who fitted a box frame made out of 203 uc 52.
It took them just 3 days to do it all.
I paid slightly over 2k.
Now they finishing my conservatory base and walls and in a week time the conservatory itself arrives.
Base, walls CH, electrical and fitting the conservatory structure and glass will cost me only 5k for 13x13 georgian upvc one.

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:38 pm