Lack of Earth Wire
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
tardisfreak
Labourer
Labourer

Lack of Earth Wire

by tardisfreak » Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:08 pm

I have just finished putting in a new kitchen, and the last job is changing the light fitting. The new fitting that I have bought needs to be earthed, but I do not appear to have an earth cable hanging down from the ceiling - just 2 black joined into one and a red cable...

Do I need to put in a earth cable, and if so, how easy is this to do?

The flat is in an old tower block built in the 60's if that helps

BLAKEY1963
Site Agent
Site Agent

by BLAKEY1963 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:20 am

TARDISFREAK
Depending on how old your wiring is , it is possible u need advice. No earths could mean providing new cable incorporating an earth. new circuits come under part p , so it would b wise to get a free quote from a reputable part p electrical contracter. if the dwelling is local authority or council owned consult them.
metal fittings should not be connected up until earthing conductors r available.

BLAKEY1963

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:55 pm

Hi,
one other thing to check, if the flat is concrete floors/ceilings as usual,
then most likely the original earth is from the metal conduit box.
The fact you have a looped neutral and one switched line/live indicates such a system is employed.
There should be a tapped hole 2BA/4mm in the back of the box to take an earth screw connection, failing that one of the fixing lugs should provide an earth point to bolt a crimped lug for an earth lead, unless you can fix the lights metal mount direct on one of the lugs.
You need to get the earth continuity checked from lug to mains earth at board to be sure.
regards SPARX

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:09 pm