Laminate flooring into doorways
Help, advice, information, answers and tips on all types of flooring from laminate and carpet to timber and vinyl

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
lanraider
Labourer
Labourer

Laminate flooring into doorways

by lanraider » Mon May 09, 2011 11:35 am

This is my 1st post so I'll keep it quick.

I want to put a laminate/wood floor in my hall, over existing parquet which is in poor condition (level but gappy).

I understand that I can put mouldings up to the skirting board, but what do I do around the architrave and into the doorways?

The doorways already have polished boards separating the floor coverings between rooms. However I am confused about leaving an expansion gap at the architrave etc.

Can anyone give me some pointers please

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

laminate flooring

by welsh brickie » Sat May 14, 2011 9:45 am

you have to cut the laminate around the door casing and architrave.
What I do is leave a smaller gap 3/5mm and mask around the cuts with masking tape. Once the floors finished seal the gap with silicone sealant,as most doors and architrave is white its no problem,If its not then you can buy a colour match mastic for your floor and use that.

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

by chris_on_tour2002 » Sat May 21, 2011 11:04 am

another way, if your skill set is up to it, is to cut out under the door frames and architraves to a depth of around 10mm and slide the laminate underneath.

use a piece of laminate, face down so as not to damage the face of the flooring, and use it as a guide for a saw. some chiselling will also be required to remove the material once cut with the saw.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 05, 2024 9:07 am