landing and hall switch wiring question
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
DUDE DIY
Ganger
Ganger

landing and hall switch wiring question

Post by DUDE DIY » Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:57 am

Hello guys im having problems re-wiring my hallway light switch after replacing the switch covers and need some advice. Any help is really appreciated.

I basically have 2 seperate cieling lights.

-1 light on the upstairs landing, which is a single switch, but this also works from a double switch down at the bottom of the stairs as well
-1 light at the bottom of the stairs which is a lobby light which works from the double switch at the bottom of the stairs as well.

On the back of the single switch at the top of the stairs I have 3 terminals
L1 L2 L3 and 4 wires, red, yellow, blue and earth. Im fine with where the earth goes.

On the back of the double switch at the bottom of the stairs I have 6 terminals. 3 at the top L1 L2 L3 and 3 at the bottom L1 L2 L3. From the wall theres 7 wires. 2 of theses are earth, so 5 wires. 1 red 1 yellow and 1 blue ( same as upstairs ) also a slightly heavier core cable in black and red.

I just need to know how to re-wire. I did make notes on taking off the old switch facias, but rewiring the same doesnt work. Whats happening at the minute is the lobby light is turned on and off from the double switch.

- i dont own a multimetre
- also is the L3 terminal another name for common?

thanks in advance for any help.

ericmark

Post by ericmark » Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:10 pm

Common could be L1 or L3 depends on manufacture. But most likely the three terminals for each switch are split between top and bottom and the common with be odd one. But somewhere you seem to be missing two wires. The red, yellow, blue connect both two way switches together and would normally be terminal on one switch to same number terminal on other switch. Plus the two switch wires. The second switch which is not two way will also have two switch wires giving 10 wires in all not counting the earths.
If the top of switch is L1, L2, L3. I would expect bottom to be L3, L2, L1?
I would expect top switch to be clone of bottom and the two extra wires for two way to go in two terminals right next to each other. The two wires for the independent non two way switch would be opposed to each other. I would think looking at projects where lighting is shown with pictures is much better than anything I can write.

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by kbrownie » Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:18 pm

Dude Diy:
Have a look how upstairs switch is configurated.
and copy that for downstairs using either bottom set L1,L2,L3 or Top set.
e.g. L1 upstairs yellow L1 yellow downstairs L2 blue upstairs L2 blue downstairs. L3 red up L3 red down.
The Red and Black cable belong to downstairs switch. Wire these on L1,L2,L3 now empty set. L1 red L2 black.
all earths terminated in earth terminals
Regards
KB

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:33 pm