Landing light
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
BecJJ
Labourer
Labourer

Landing light

by BecJJ » Tue May 29, 2007 5:29 pm

I have a landing light, I blew up the switch when I wired all the reds and all the neutrals. So I looked at the instructions (madness, I know). I have 3 cables, one of which is marked with blue tape, which I have assumed is the switching wire. I have gathered together all the lives, the two neutrals from the non-marked cables and the 3 earths.

I have added the switching wire neutral (well, black wire) to the bundle of live wires, hey presto, I have light. HOWEVER, it is just on. The upstairs switch doesn't affect it, and the downstairs switch doesn't affect it. No switching off possible.

So I spat my dummy. What have I done wrong? Help me, I am a fool.

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Tue May 29, 2007 10:26 pm

Hi your 3 live wires should not connect to the fittings flex only to each other, the taped Black sw. live should go to live of fitting, the neutrals you have right, the fact that the light stays on says you have got the looped through lives connected to the fitting! If you are replacing with a ceiling rose pendant you will find three centre terms linked together for your lives, 2 terms + blue of flex for your neutrals & 1 term. plus brown of flex for your switched L (blk taped), It's all in 'projects' in colour
regards SPARX

BecJJ
Labourer
Labourer

by BecJJ » Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:15 pm

Thanks for that!

I put all the lives together (not into the light fitting). The 2 neutrals into the neutral of the light fitting, and the switch wire neutral (well, black wire) into the live of the light fitting. Then I taped the earths together.

Hurrah! We have a switchable light and no-one has been electrocuted!

Marvellous! Thanks again

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:59 pm