Landing Light
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Craig Mac
Labourer
Labourer

Landing Light

by Craig Mac » Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:16 pm

Hi,

I have replaced my landing light fitting which I thought woudl be straight forward.
There are two Twin and Earth cables coming from the ceiling plus a single red wire.
This gives three red and two black.
I wired the single red to the lamp flex Brown and the black form one of the t&E to the flex blue. The landing light works fine, as a two way with a switch upstairs and one downstairs.

Out of the remianing two reds , once is a constant "live". I think the other red goes down to the bathroom light switch and the black is the switch wire coming back. Connecting thsi red to the Constant live certainly makes the black switch wire live when the switch is operated. I have connected this switch wire to the same connector as the brown lamp flex.

Problem - The bathroom light only works when the landing light is turned off. However the landing light still glows dimly at this point.
Turning the landing light on gives full illumination on teh landing but turns off the bathroom light.
What have i done wrong?

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:55 pm

what happens if you connect all reds to a loop in terminal on there own,
the switch wire to the live termina(brown flex)l on the fitting and the neutral to the neutral terminal(blue flex)?
KB

Craig Mac
Labourer
Labourer

by Craig Mac » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:08 pm

This si the only combination not tried and someoen else suggested the same idea. Not home until saturday to try it.
I can't see it working although it shouldn't blow any fuses so worth a go.

thanks - for indicating we might be on the right track. Will keep you updated

cheers

Craig

bd3cc
Foreman
Foreman

by bd3cc » Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:04 pm

Go with kb

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:08 am