Landlord says Condensation but I Suspect it is Rising Damp?
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
KathrynB
Labourer
Labourer

Landlord says Condensation but I Suspect it is Rising Damp?

by KathrynB » Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:32 pm

Hi everyone,
I'm having a nightmare with damp in our living room. We have two external walls in the room and mould is appearing on both of them, but not the two interior walls.

One of them has a large bay window, and the wall is darker half way up the wall underneath it. It seems like the worse the weather gets the higher up the wall it moves (hence why I believe it is rising damp!)

However, our landlord is claiming it is condensation, and is due to a lack of ventilation in the building. The windows and sills are totally dry, and we run dehumidifiers (chemical and electric which is costing us a fortune in bills!)

The pictures attached are from the wall behind my desk (both external) there is risen white, hard to remove black, green and yellow coloured mould all over it.
Any help would be much appreciated, thanks in advance!
Attachments
photo(5).JPG
photo(5).JPG (27.12 KiB) Viewed 1915 times
photo(4).JPG
photo(4).JPG (19.26 KiB) Viewed 1915 times
photo(3).JPG
photo(3).JPG (32.47 KiB) Viewed 1915 times

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Landlord says Condensation but I Suspect it is Rising Damp?

by welsh brickie » Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:59 pm

definatly not condensation, and not rising damp, as its confined to one area, look for external crack or it could be damp course bridging

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Landlord says Condensation but I Suspect it is Rising Damp?

by htg engineer » Wed Dec 24, 2014 6:53 pm

Rising damp will normally only reach up to the 1m mark, if it's above 1m you can rule out rising damp

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:34 pm