Last radiator will not get hot
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
kingsmeadow
Labourer
Labourer

Last radiator will not get hot

by kingsmeadow » Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:16 am

The hot water heating system has been working fine. The circulating pump started to fail so I replaced it with a new one. Due to the pump age a direct was not available so I was given a replacement that had slightly more capacity. The new pump has a 3 position switch to control speeds and I set it on the middle one. All went well, except the last radiator in the system was not getting hot. I decided to slow the new pump down and then the radiator got a bit hotter but still not to the top. I have tried your suggestions on balancing but still the same.

Any suggestions will be very welcome, as I am stumped as what to do next.

Steve the gas
Site Agent
Site Agent

by Steve the gas » Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:50 am

Not hot at the top could indicate air - have you bled the rads?

kingsmeadow
Labourer
Labourer

by kingsmeadow » Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:33 am

[quote="Steve the gas"]Not hot at the top could indicate air - have you bled the rads?[/quote]

Yes I did bleed the rads, several times and this is what is odd. With my old pump I always bled the rads with the pump running and the rads would then get hot to the top. With the new pump and running, no air came out at all !! I saw the suggestion that the bleeding should never be done with the pump running and so I tried that. Sure enough, air rushed out until fluid started to bubble out. I then tried the system, and sure enough it gets hot to the top.

So you were exactly correct, it was air in the system. Thanks for your help.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1