Lath and plaster repair for wall
Ask your questions and find answers on many subjects relating to plastering and dry lining

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Libertine
Labourer
Labourer

Lath and plaster repair for wall

by Libertine » Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:34 pm

My electrician has made some large holes for light switches in the walls. I am not sure the best method to repair this before the plastering is done. The holes are very deep and I am concerned that the wall is weak.

Can suggestions on how best to repair this be given?
Attachments
Whole (2).jpg

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Lath and plaster repair for wall

by stoneyboy » Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:19 pm

Hi libertine
If you are getting a plasterer in suggest you leave it to them to make the repairs. Otherwise you could provide a stable background by using expanding foam, coating the lathes and over to the existing plaster. Once the foam has set trim off the excess foam so as th give a decent depth for plastering.
Regards S

Libertine
Labourer
Labourer

by Libertine » Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:29 pm

Thanks for responding. I was not aware expanding foam can be used for this. I know several type of foam are available. What type do you suggest? I did not know expanding foam works as suitable backing.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:32 pm

Hi libertine
Somehow the lathes and the remaining cement/lime plaster needs to be stabilised before replastering is done. Use a general purpose expanding foam to fill the cavity and cut back the set foam to give a good depth for plastering.
Regards S

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:14 pm