DIY Doctor

Lath and plaster repair for wall

Postby Libertine » Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:34 pm

My electrician has made some large holes for light switches in the walls. I am not sure the best method to repair this before the plastering is done. The holes are very deep and I am concerned that the wall is weak.

Can suggestions on how best to repair this be given?
Attachments
Whole (2).jpg
Libertine
Progress to next rank:
25%

Sponsor

DIY asbestos test kits

Postby stoneyboy » Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:19 pm

Hi libertine
If you are getting a plasterer in suggest you leave it to them to make the repairs. Otherwise you could provide a stable background by using expanding foam, coating the lathes and over to the existing plaster. Once the foam has set trim off the excess foam so as th give a decent depth for plastering.
Regards S
stoneyboy

Postby Libertine » Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:29 pm

Thanks for responding. I was not aware expanding foam can be used for this. I know several type of foam are available. What type do you suggest? I did not know expanding foam works as suitable backing.
Libertine
Progress to next rank:
25%

Postby stoneyboy » Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:32 pm

Hi libertine
Somehow the lathes and the remaining cement/lime plaster needs to be stabilised before replastering is done. Use a general purpose expanding foam to fill the cavity and cut back the set foam to give a good depth for plastering.
Regards S
stoneyboy

Sort by
Order by

• DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!