Laying a patio on existing concrete base but also extending it
Post your questions and get answers regarding all areas of drives, pathways and patios

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
pk1209
Labourer
Labourer

Laying a patio on existing concrete base but also extending it

by pk1209 » Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:18 pm

Hi,

Looking for some help on a potential project. I want to lay a patio in place of an existing one (well, some concrete slabs) which are layed on an old concrete base, but I also want to make it larger which means laying on an area which is just dirt right now - as seen in the pic, patio area marked out in blue.

My thoughts are to lift the existing slabs (obviously) and in the area to be extended lay some new concrete with some ballast and bits or brick or old slab to pad it out and level that to the existing concrete base.

Once cured, use a mortar base and lay the patio slabs directly onto the mortar base.

Other option was to extend using MOT and get that level with the concrete ready for laying, but figured it would be easier to get it all as one big concrete base, maybe using some self leveller if needed (not sure how level it is until i get slabs off).

Not an expert on this kinda stuff, so help appreciated!
Attachments
IMG_20200609_170753.jpg

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Laying a patio on existing concrete base but also extending it

by stoneyboy » Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:56 pm

Hi pk1209
Probably best to extend the concrete so you have a consistent base to lay slabs on. Make the base broadly level and make fine adjustments when you lay the slabs.
Regards S

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:24 pm