Laying cable beneath existing concrete floor
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Oli
Labourer
Labourer

Laying cable beneath existing concrete floor

by Oli » Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:41 pm

Hi,

I want to add a spur onto my ring main in a room that only has a plug socket on one wall. Unfortunately, other than bodging it and running the twin and earth around the door frame I have to cross the existing concrete floor.

Does anybody have any suggestions as to the best way to do this? Do I need to hire a concrete cutter to cut a trench, lay a duct and then concrete over it? Any things I should be aware of?

Thanks.

BLAKEY1963
Site Agent
Site Agent

Re: Laying cable beneath existing concrete floor

by BLAKEY1963 » Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:55 pm

[quote="Oli"]Hi,

I want to add a spur onto my ring main in a room that only has a plug socket on one wall. Unfortunately, other than bodging it and running the twin and earth around the door frame I have to cross the existing concrete floor.

Does anybody have any suggestions as to the best way to do this? Do I need to hire a concrete cutter to cut a trench, lay a duct and then concrete over it? Any things I should be aware of?

Thanks.[/quote]

OLI
I WOULD ENLIST AN ELECTRICIAN TO ADVISE U ON THIS
BLAKEY1963

Oli
Labourer
Labourer

by Oli » Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:00 am

Thanks, but the one electrician I spoke to suggested running the cable along the skirting board around the door frame as anything else 'was too much work'.

Besides I have plenty of experience with electrics, it's the digging holes in my floor bit I want advice on! Plus, I want to DIY as I'm trying to save money.

picturethis
Labourer
Labourer

by picturethis » Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:30 pm

You could run a spur from your main box on a 16amp mcb, if your box is RCD protected. This sounds better and easier than digging up concrete floors.

If you do this I reccommend you use armoured cable and junction boxes, remember you need to earth the armour on the cable.

Personally I'd probably trunk the cable along the skirting.

But going back to the 1st answer, I'd recommend you speak to an electrician.

regards,
picturethis

ronti
Labourer
Labourer

by ronti » Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:59 pm

Had to do this myself across 10ft of concrete with no advice available. I cut a 1" by 1" trench with my angle grinder, laid the wire, concreted over and stuck electrical tape over the route before fitting laminate flooring. This was over 12 years ago and no problems so far.

misterg
Tradesman
Tradesman

by misterg » Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:48 pm

Hi

What about running cable from another room? I've got a few sockets that are back to back with others on the other side of the wall. Is that an option for you?

regards

G

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:37 pm