Laying carpet tiles on wooden floor HELP
Help, advice, information, answers and tips on all types of flooring from laminate and carpet to timber and vinyl

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
desperado
Apprentice
Apprentice

Laying carpet tiles on wooden floor HELP

by desperado » Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:50 am

Do I need to pva the wooden floor first before laying carpet tiles?? They are the bitumen backed type of tile. Also should I use spray can adhesive or the ready mixed glue??

Thanks

desperado
Apprentice
Apprentice

by desperado » Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:42 pm

[quote="gardnico1307"]Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm. The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money![/quote]

Sorry to sound harsh but I prefer personal opinions on how people have carried out this task. I do appreciate the projects page but as its a forum I like questions and answers

:(

David James
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Laying carpet tiles on wooden floor HELP

by David James » Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:54 pm

[quote="desperado"]Do I need to pva the wooden floor first before laying carpet tiles?? They are the bitumen backed type of tile. Also should I use spray can adhesive or the ready mixed glue??

Thanks[/quote]
Strongly suggest carpet tiles should not be fixed to floor with adhesive.
My preferred method, which I have used successfully many times is to first lay 3mm hardboard sheeting, coarse side up, on T&G wooden floor cutting to size and securing with PVA and panel pins or staples. Ensure pins and staples are shorter than T&G thickness so as to avoid clashes with water pipes or wiring.
Carpet tiles when laid will bed-in to the coarse finish of the hardboard and lateral movement is prevented. Tiles can be removed and cleaned or replaced as required, which would not be possible if glued down.

swidders
Ganger
Ganger

by swidders » Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:58 pm

I know it's a pest, but i would recommend putting harboard down first - soaked overnight and pinned every 150mm with more at adjoining edges (get bq to cut into 1200mm squares - easier to handle). Normally these go down rough side up, but as you are sticking carpet tiles on, smoothside up is better. Leave overnight to dry.

reasons for putting harboard down - creates a better/smoother surface and will hide floorboard cracks and undulations; have you ever tried taking up glued down flooring? absolute nightmare!!!

if bitumen backed, then adhesive not required since i thought that the idea was that bitumen will soften at room temperature and adhere.

rabbit
Apprentice
Apprentice

by rabbit » Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:01 pm

I was thinking of laying carpet tiles in two bedrooms but I have now been put off doing this.

The bedrooms are 10 by 10 ft have have large wooden boards which appear to be level and clean. I want something warm and soft for barefeet... but also easy to keep clean

I thought putting down carpet tiles would be easy but it doesn't sound like it to me.

May be I should just get the cheapest roll of carpet and try putting that down.

R

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:21 am