DIY Doctor

Laying new supply pipe

Postby wysiwyg70 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:00 pm

House was built in the 60's and has 15mm copper coming up (at an inconvenient location) in the kitchen. Flow rate is low at 12 litres per minute, so plan to relay a new supply pipe run from pavement into property with 25mm plastic.

Since I'd rather it enter the house at a slightly different location in the kitchen, and prefer not to burrow under the foundations I was thinking of using an insulated wras approved wall mounted box on the outside and have water enter through wall above dpm. My question is....are these boxes only designed to house only a meter, or could I possibly locate the stopcock in there (rather than inside the property). As I say, the box will be fully insulated so shouldn't freeze(?). There is already a meter at the stopvalve on the public pavement, so I wouldn't need another installed in the box.

Perhaps someone here would know what the regulations are. I hope you can help.

Many thanks!
Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:49 am


Simply Build It

Postby stoneyboy » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:34 pm

Doubtful whether an insulated box will protect the mains pipe if the weather is a cold as last winter. Stick with the pipe entering the house at least 0.3m below ground level.
Rank: Project Manager
Posts: 4077
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:44 pm

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics