Laying Patio Slabs over concrete - whats the best method....
Post your questions and get answers regarding all areas of drives, pathways and patios

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
bpascua
Apprentice
Apprentice

Laying Patio Slabs over concrete - whats the best method....

by bpascua » Tue May 22, 2007 3:47 pm

Hello All.

I have an a horrible old concerete section down the side of my house that I'm trying to conceal. I have graveled the majority of this but the reaming section needs to remain a hard surface as I have three wheelie bins that live on it. So I was going to lay down some paving slabs. I calculated I need 21 of the 45 x 45 cm cheapie slabs from B and Q. I'll be laying a 7 x 3 slabs in the area and I'm not sure what's the best mix to bed these down with. The load area will be light as only foot traffic will be going over it, can I use a dry mix for this? I have seen advice saying the slabs should be laid on a bed of sharp sand and cement approx 50mm thick and mixed at 8 to 1 (The mix should be damp) Is this correct ? will the mix just dry out and go off?

Thanks

Brian

thedoctor

by thedoctor » Thu May 24, 2007 8:32 pm

The mix described above is perfect Brian.

bpascua
Apprentice
Apprentice

by bpascua » Wed May 30, 2007 10:07 am

Great! one last question. What should I use for the pointing? should I just fill the gaps with soft sand or should I wait 24 hours after I laid the slabs and then use the same mixture to fill the joints?

Thanks

Brian

bpascua
Apprentice
Apprentice

by bpascua » Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:11 am

Just a note to say thanks. i laid a 21 slab patio last weekend and pointed it as per the project section. Looks great and we are very pleased with it. Thanks for your assistance.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 03, 2024 5:04 am