Lead Clad Dormer Windows - Refurb Options for Covering up or Removing Lead?
Information, help and tips on many areas of roofing including trusses, tiling, venting, insulation etc....

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
achillespilot
Labourer
Labourer

Lead Clad Dormer Windows - Refurb Options for Covering up or Removing Lead?

Post by achillespilot » Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:25 am

Hello all, first post on here so hope I'm in the right place!
Firstly, aplogies for any incorrect/incoherent terms, I'm pretty much making it up as I go...
Recently moved into an upper floor flat, converted from a large detached house some 30 years ago. At the front of the house there are two large dormer windows. I believe the actual windows have been replaced fairly recently (within 10 years), and whilst there's nothing actually wrong with the dormers, they just look a bit shabby. The wood around the outside of the windows (exterior) definitely needs replaced as its starting to rot. Also the sides of the dormers are clad in bare lead, which doesn't look very appealing. What are my options re covering or removing the lead? Ideally if I was to be replacing the wooden fascias, I'd like to have similar wood over the top of the lead... is that possible? Or do I need to rip the lead off, sell it, and start again with another type of weatherproofing?
Thanks in advance!
Gavin
dormer.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

proptech
Foreman
Foreman

Re: Lead Clad Dormer Windows - Refurb Options for Covering up or Removing Lead?

Post by proptech » Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:44 pm

Hi

Others may disagree, but lead is the best material there is for that application.
Correctly fitted, nothing can touch it for long term weather resistance.

achillespilot
Labourer
Labourer

Post by achillespilot » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:44 pm

Thanks for your reply. That's what I suspected, my question still remains though is there anything I can put over the top to make it look a bit better?

proptech
Foreman
Foreman

Post by proptech » Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:58 pm

PVC would seem to be one option, but it would be madness to puncture the lead in order to obtain a fixing. Can the lead not be smartened up a bit ?

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:57 am