DIY Doctor

Main navigation

Lead lined roof gutter valley leaking

Postby DJB » Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:17 am

I have a lead lined gutter valley with a pitched slate roof on 3 sides, which exits into a hopper above a down pipe.
It is leaking into the house through the lead overlap.
I've had 3 roofers look at it and they all give different advice.
One said paint it all with Aquapol, but didn't know if it would crack when walked on for roof maintenance.
One said just paint over the lead overlaps with Aquapol so I could just step over the overlaps for maintenance.
And one said solder all the lead overlaps and cracks.
I would have liked to line over the lead with EPDM rubber but they all say EPDM doesn't stick to lead. There must be an adhesive out there that would, or could EPDM be layed over loose?
Advice please.
DJB
Progress to next rank:
0%

Postby Bertie Bumwhistle » Sun Aug 15, 2021 5:06 pm

Hi there,

I spotted the info on the link below when I was looking at EPDM for upgrading my dormer flat roof. Hope its of use to you.
https://www.rubber4roofs.co.uk/rubber-gutter-linings
Bertie Bumwhistle
Progress to next rank:
50%

Postby JoelPip123 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:40 am

You will need an adhesive to make sure the EPDM sticks to the lead, though the general advice is that adhesive to lead is not always successful, as there is often an oxidised layer.
JoelPip123
Progress to next rank:
0%

Sort by
Order by

• DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!