Leak from Dishwasher And Washing Machine
Drainage and wastage systems and plumbing help, advice and answers

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Terrier1964
Labourer
Labourer

Leak from Dishwasher And Washing Machine

by Terrier1964 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:00 pm

:roll: In the middle of an extension build and booked for a kitchen refit in a month. Over last few days noticed a very sour smell from under floor in kitchen - Our house is built on rafters and has a crawl way of about three foot height. I went down trap door and dropped into about 5 inches of foul smelling water.....back sludge and slime...yuk....
Closer inspection revealed that both traps from the washer and dish washer had seperated from their respective outfall pipes.....and as a consequence has dumped a weeks worth of water into the underdrawing.

Two hours later and 15 buckets of filth the area was cleaned and all the offensive sludge removed.....however my question is how long till it totally dries out (the base of the house is rough concrete and builders rubble/mortar remnants)......and what can I use to lessen the sour smell !
or will it never truly go away and haunt us when damp weather arrives

I thought about using Jeyes Fluid or bleach but am a bit worried about fumes in the confined space....as an extreme will i have to membrane and concrete cap to totally ensure a smell free life ?

retrostew
Apprentice
Apprentice

by retrostew » Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:31 pm

try dry lime , works a treat at removing those stuborn horrible stail smells.

TheDoctor5

by TheDoctor5 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:20 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 05, 2024 5:53 am