Leaking bath
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Newbee
Tradesman
Tradesman

Leaking bath

Post by Newbee » Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:23 pm

Hi Guys, I ve recently had my bathroom renewed by a 78 yr old joiner from round the corner that every one uses for just about everyone.
He can be a little rough but usually turns out a reasonable job but don't expect show room finish! anyway, the bath is leaking in several places where the silicone meets the wet board and because of difficulties fitting some of the wet bord (I helped him with that) the metal trim became a little stressed and this caused the channel to widen slightly.
Can anyone suggest a product I could use to seal the bath and trim, i think I'll have to remove the silicone and start again the existing seal doesn't seem to bond to the wall board that well.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, I'm quite handy with a mastic gun as I used to be in the joinery trade.

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by rosebery » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:57 pm

What do you mean by wet board?

Have you tiled over the top of it?

Is the bath very securely fixed to the wall as well as screws through the feet? Is it an acrylic bath or is it a steel bath?

All in all you are looking at removing the silicone and replacing it. The answers to the other questions will reveal what additional work you have to do to minimise the chances of it happening again.

Cheers

Newbee
Tradesman
Tradesman

Post by Newbee » Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:13 pm

Hi there, thanks for the reply sorry I didn't supply enough info
Its an Acrylic 8mm bath of good quality, it is fixed to the wall, 'wet board' is a general term for products like 'aqua board' its ply or whatever that has formica bonded to both sides and generally available available in 8' x 4'
I've had the walls covered with this prior to the bath being installed and yes I'm going to have to remove the sealant, not a task I'm looking forward to.
Any tips on removing this and products to re-seal it with, he fitted the bath panel and as usual its not perfect! but will live with it.

Thanks in advance

PS. the feet are screwed to the floor

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 06, 2024 2:46 am