Leaking End Cap Bleed valve
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
mcaddy
Apprentice
Apprentice

Leaking End Cap Bleed valve

by mcaddy » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:04 am

I think I've tracked a leaking heating system down to an end cap air vent. It's not been coming out at a fast rate so mostly evaporating as it runs down the hot pipes. I've tightened but this doesn't seemed to have halted the continued loss of pressure. I caught it the other day with a bead of water around the screw thread. So suspect keen to get it sorted before all the shops are shut and I'm paying over the odds for parts.

2020-03-23 07.38.41.jpg

I've found what I believe to be a direct replacement

https://www.toolstation.com/air-vent-ca ... nMQAvD_BwE

would it be possible to replace just the screw cap and leave the fitting in place or will I have to replace the whole component.

If replacement is the answer is there a compression fitting option as I've limited experience of soldering and although I understand the theory and have most of the tools, I'm probably best not to start with a vertical fitting.

If I am replacing is there a better / upgraded solution I ought to be considering.

TIA

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Leaking End Cap Bleed valve

by stoneyboy » Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:02 am

Hi mcaddy,
These bleed valves have a rubber washer in them that over time perishes.
Buy a new one, depressurise your system, then either replace the cap (if it has the same thread) or fit the washer from the new cap into the old one.
Regards S

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:10 pm