Leaking hot water cylinder
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Duncan Walls
Labourer
Labourer

Leaking hot water cylinder

Post by Duncan Walls » Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:05 pm

We get a small leak from around our hot water cylinder when the power to it is switched off. I am not sure if the leak is coming from the cylinder or the pipes supplying hot water to the house. There isn't a leak when the cylinder is turned on.

Grateful for any ideas on what could cause this.

stuart_craigon2003
Tradesman
Tradesman

Post by stuart_craigon2003 » Tue May 27, 2008 11:19 pm

I'm not sure what could be causing this but if it’s your cylinder it HAS to go. A leaking cylinder is anything but good. You might like to try getting in touch with an excellent cylinder manufacture in Scotland:

McDonald Engineers (UK) Ltd
Flemington Road
Queensway Industrial Estate
Glenrothes
Fife
KY7 5QF

Tel: (01592) 611123

They will be able to give you all the advice you need and their good at it too!

Stuart

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by rosebery » Tue May 27, 2008 11:28 pm

You need to trace exactly where the leak is coming from.

If its from the cylinder then it's a new cylinder I'm afraid. If so and your system isn't fully pumped then current regs say that must be upgraded as well when fitting a new cylinder.

If it's from the pipework then that's probably an easier situation to deal with - but you must trace it.

Cheers

Dave From Leeds
Ganger
Ganger

Post by Dave From Leeds » Thu May 29, 2008 11:57 pm

Some years ago I had a leak from the seam around the top of my hot water cylinder. Managed to stop it using Plastic Padding's Chemical Metal product. However the leak returned after about a year and I had to change the cylinder. What you say about the leak stopping when the system is switched on suggests that the leak may be on a joint in the pipework, maybe one of the cylinder connections. As others have said, you need to find out where the leak is.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 06, 2024 2:44 pm