LEAKING RADIATOR CONNECTION
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Marksman
Labourer
Labourer

by Marksman » Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:42 pm

I have just found the connection to my radiator is leaking. The compression fitting under the valve is weeping ever so slightly, and tightening it actually makes it worse. I think I have to drain the system, disconnect the radiator, wrap some PTFE tape around the valve stem and reconnect it. I have a Baxi Bermuda back boiler feeding the system. What do I have to isolate to drain the system down? I have a drain valve on the lowest radiator in the kitchen. When isolated, drained down, repair done, How do I fill it up again? It seems such a simple problem to get a plumber out to. Last plumber we had made a bit of a mess with changing a shower, so I'm reluctant to try another. Please Help :?

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:01 pm

Marksman,
Assuming you have a header tank bung up both the feed and vent, close the valve on the opposite end of the radiator to the one that is leaking, open the vent on the radiator until it stops running, close it again and remake the join on the valve, reverse the procedure.
end

Marksman
Labourer
Labourer

by Marksman » Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:47 pm

Stoneyboy.
You say "......open the vent on the radiator until it stops running......". Surely I'll end up with water all over my hall floor? By "Vent" do you mean the bleed valve?
Sorry, I must be very dim and missing something here?
Regards
Confused
Marksman

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:09 pm

Marksman,
You will have to catch the water coming out of the bleed valve and it will take some time before it stops running. Refit the bleed valve before you undo the leaking connection and use a towel to catch any water leaks.
end

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:22 am