Leaking Radiator Joint Nut
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Bunnyarmy
Apprentice
Apprentice

Leaking Radiator Joint Nut

Post by Bunnyarmy » Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:45 pm

I’ve got a small drip coming from the nut where the central heating pipe meets the valve. Do I need to drain the whole system to fix this? Will a bit of ptfe tape solve it?
Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Leaking Radiator Joint Nut

Post by stoneyboy » Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:32 pm

Hi,
Try tightening the nut but grip the valve while you do this.
Regards, S

Bunnyarmy
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Bunnyarmy » Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:35 am

Thanks! I should have mentioned this is what I’ve tried already

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by stoneyboy » Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:16 pm

Hi bunnyarmy,
In that case you have three options.
Turn off the radiator valves - both ends - system off.

Either undo the nut completely, wrap ptfe tape round the olive and threaded end and refit the nut. You will get water pissing out of the joint while doing this. The major problem may be that the joint is defective and you will get flood.

Safer option is to hire a pipe freezing kit, freeze the pipe and carry out the repair knowing you will have 5-10 minutes to complete it.

Or you could drain down the system.

Regards, S

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by stoneyboy » Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:18 am

Hi bunnyarmy,
Unless you are confident dealing with a lot of water coming out of the joint the last option is the safest.
Regards,
S

Bunnyarmy
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Bunnyarmy » Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:37 am

Thanks everyone! I rang my builder that did my renovation work and he told me where to drain the system in the cellar. Just needed a new compression reducing internal coupler instead of an olive as the pipes are small.
It was pretty simple in the end and at least I know where to drain it from now for future!

Kenzo1234
Labourer
Labourer

Post by Kenzo1234 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:43 pm

I had the same problem I had a regular boiler so I put a bung in the header tank released the nut then ptf. If you fill a straw with water but keep your finger on top the straw the water doesn't flow from the straw in needs air behind it. So I thought if it works for a straw got to work for a long copper pipe and low and be hold. I'm not saying you should do this but it worked for me . Good luck

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1