Leaking radiators
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Flynnski
Labourer
Labourer

Leaking radiators

by Flynnski » Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:52 am

I am in a 1930's semi and had central heating installed professionally two years ago - I now have 3 leaking radiators, is there anything I can do myself to solve this problem? Searched the forum and answers section and no banana. TY

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:13 pm

Where are they leaking from ?

htg

Flynnski
Labourer
Labourer

Leaking radiators

by Flynnski » Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:39 pm

A nut at the top of the radiator, the oppposite end to the bleed valve. Same side as the thermo control, hope that makes sense. The three downstairs are all doing this. Upstairs is okay - so far. Rust coloured drips down the side where the water is leaking down. Sorry - I'm a female tecchy whizz, not a DIYer lol

Steve the gas
Site Agent
Site Agent

by Steve the gas » Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:44 am

Hi,

If I am understanding you correctly, they are leaking from blanking plugs or bungs at the top of the rads ???
If so , buy some new bungs from a diy store & replace.
Do this when system is off and cold.
Let some water out of a bleed screw about a pint - then undo & replace- quickly if a system boiler (with floor protection)
If a combi top up pressure after you have replaced bungs.

Hth

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:02 am

Turn off both valves to each radiator, and drain abit water off. Then unscrew the nut, there'll probably be rubber o-rings, if you can - replace them, if unable to find a replacement and the o-rings are still intact - remove the o-ring, and apply a few winds of PTFE tape in the groove then refit the o-ring abit marley lubricant (or similar) if available and that should solve the problem. The PTFE tape will push the o-ring out slightly to give a better seal.

htg

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1