Leaking Toilet
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Another DIY Novice
Labourer
Labourer

Leaking Toilet

Post by Another DIY Novice » Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:00 pm

I've recently fixed the flush on the toilet, bit now it is leaking. I can see where it is leaking, but not sure how to fix it. The water is leaking from the cistern where it joins the bowl. The washers are on as tight as I can get them, anyone got any ideas?

peter the plumber
Ganger
Ganger

Post by peter the plumber » Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:43 pm

Bit of rubber between then pan and the cistern is not in right or needs to be replaced.

Easy to do, undo the nuts that hold the cistern to the pan on the under side of the cistern and un screw the cistern from the wall.

Lift off the cistern and you will see it and just replace it.

bobplum
Foreman
Foreman

Post by bobplum » Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:05 pm

probarly the doughnut ring not sitting right take cistern off and check the doughnut ring you can buy and replace if its damaged
bob

marrtin
Foreman
Foreman

Post by marrtin » Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:43 pm

If the bolts connecting the pan go through the bottom of the cistern, they could be leaking too. And the syphon or dump valve could be leaking. Does it constantly dribble or only when flushed?

Make sure the float entry is not leaking and the water running into the centre.

Best strip and check carefully!! Otherwise you will be doing it again. Been there!!!!!!!!

Another DIY Novice
Labourer
Labourer

Post by Another DIY Novice » Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:22 am

Thanks for all the replies. I've replaced the syphon and the doughnut and have check all screws & bolts are as tight as I can get them by hand. The drip is now minimal and only when I flush, but it is still leaking. Any thoughts?

marrtin
Foreman
Foreman

Post by marrtin » Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:36 am

If it only leaks when flushed, then the rubber doughnut is at fault. Need to separate the toilet and cistern and use a silicone sealant on the rubber. It's a common problem.

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:51 pm