LED Down Lighters - Do I Need a Heat Shield Around Them?
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Cut 2 Measure 1
Labourer
Labourer

LED Down Lighters - Do I Need a Heat Shield Around Them?

by Cut 2 Measure 1 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:36 pm

My electrician has installed LED downlighters in my ceiling throughout my bungalow and the bases stick up into the loft. I am going to insulate the loft and know that I can get various guards to keep insulation material off them. My question is twofold is it OK to floor over them with chipboard panels and what should i do about the ones that have been installed near the timber roof trusses ? Do i need some sort of heat shield between the light and the wood ?

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: LED Down Lighters - Do I Need a Heat Shield Around Them?

by Mr White » Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:12 am

The items you appear to be thinking of are called "Fire hoods" They are designed to stop fire spreading from the floor below to the floor above.
They are only required if there is a living space above, which in your case is no.
Timber will instantly ignite at 700 degrees Farenheight but takes longer if it is 450+ degrees
Some lights will overheat and fail prematurely if not given enough surrounding air space, best to check with the manufacturer. (Or read the instructions that came with each fitting)

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:19 pm