LED to Replace Existing Downstairs Hall Light
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Ballinlea
Labourer
Labourer

LED to Replace Existing Downstairs Hall Light

by Ballinlea » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:42 pm

Hi all.
I want to replace my old downstairs hall light with an LED flush down light. This will be between the downstairs ceiling and upstairs floor boards. Can anyone recommend a suitable light bearing in mind that it will be enclosed and there will be no ventilation there to cool the unit when in use?
Thanks.

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: LED to Replace Existing Downstairs Hall Light

by Mr White » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:27 pm

If a person says have this one and it is not to your taste it would be a waste of both yours and their time and effort, we would need to know more of what you do and do not like, bearing this in mind I would suggest you go along to a dedicated lighting shop and see what is available.

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: LED to Replace Existing Downstairs Hall Light

by ericmark » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:52 am

Google "low profile LED lights" then click on images, sure you will find something.

The big change is because LED produce less heat, there is really no need to make holes in the ceiling to fit them, surface mount works well.

The old 16/8th inch lamp (MR16) does not work well with LED it needs to be bigger, so 200 mm is common with LED and at 18W that's a lot of light, however with a hall length can be a problem, we have one lamp, standard pendent type, and it's not enough.

I note Screwfix do two PIR ceiling lamps, not made up my mind yet, but at the moment we have a plug in emergency, PIR lamp in hall which works well as we enter using front door, it gives us the light needed to see the light switches, the whole idea of the light automatic coming on as we enter the house appeals to me, however as an extra not only lamp, but with the cheap Lidi plug in lamp as it is, we rarely switch on hall light, the plug in one gives enough walking room to room or up the stairs.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:34 am