Legal Distance Between Cooker and Internal Door
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
SamOchs
Labourer
Labourer

Legal Distance Between Cooker and Internal Door

by SamOchs » Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:10 pm

I have been advised by a well known kitchen supply shop that I can't put my 90cm electric oven with induction hob where I want because it would be too close to an internal door as I need to have at least 20cm of workbench each side of the hob, or maybe more depending on what county I live in as each has different rules. He went as far as to say the house would be unsaleable in the future as it would break local laws (Kent).
The door doesn't open into the kitchen, and it is the hinge side that will be closest to the hob. There will be around 10cm between the cooker and the door frame and there is workbench on the other side. I can't see anything on my local council website about this, is it really true because it seems a bit odd to me... I could understand stricter rules about gas hobs due to breezes, or if the door opened onto the cooker, but not for induction surely?

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Legal Distance Between Cooker and Internal Door

by ericmark » Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:59 pm

The heat goes direct into pan, and the hottest it can get is oil temperature when frying. In the main looking at 150 degs C max and so in real terms unlikely to have a problem even if right up to the wall or door.

However it takes laws a long time to catch up. It also uses words like "hot surfaces" it does not say what is considered as hot. I worked with stress relief and did not consider anything under 100 degs C as being hot, at 100 degs it was too cold. I really do hate words like hot, it was hot normally 650 or 750 degs C. But it's all relative.

The big problem with induction hobs is the cooling air for the electronics, so you do need to follow manufactures instructions.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:23 pm