Post your questions and find answers on all garden related topics and areas

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Nav
Labourer
Labourer

Leveling a bumpy garden

by Nav » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:04 am

Hello All.

I have a 100 foot garden which has a lot of uneven ground. Also as you look down the garden the left hand side is about quarter to half a foot higher than the right side . I have been advised by a local hire shop to hire a rotavator and take up the soil and then rake it back in evenly so that I get a flat and level garden. Would i then just need to throw in grass seeds to get it back into good shape.
Please advise if this is the way that i should be doing it and is it as easy as it sounds. Also would March/April be a good time to do this.

All answers appreciated.
Thank you.

Enthusiast
Labourer
Labourer

by Enthusiast » Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:39 pm

I had exactly the same problem though my height variance was a bit more than a foot. The rotavator solution does work but I decided to featurise a bit and so with a bit of painful investment I actually had a wall built of concrete blocks and then reshaped the land into two terraces. A word to observe: rotavating will result in some undesirable weeds surfacing so its a good idea to do the groundwork and then let it lie fallow for a couple of months to let the nasties pop through and kill them off. Rake once more and sow your seeds. Planting time is the usual early/mid spring.

scotsmart
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Leveling a bumpy garden

by scotsmart » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:54 pm

We face something similar in respect of the fact we have what was previously an open landrain that has now been re-routed in so doing it has left essentially a dry river bed across the width of our entire garden so suggestions please as we have a young King Charles Puppy who regularily gets lost down this valley and seems to enjoy playing hide & seek with us are we best then to completely infill this to as close as possibly level this out or would we be better to feature it as a dry river bed, lined and stoned with possibly alpine planting and a made up bridge possibly over it? making it look like it was supposed to be there rather than it was a mistake?

Suggestions guys that involve little or no outlay........

Many thanks in advance of replies

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 08, 2024 4:21 am