Levelling a floor
Help, advice, information, answers and tips on all types of flooring from laminate and carpet to timber and vinyl

ambercelery
Labourer
Labourer

Levelling a floor

by ambercelery » Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:35 am

Hi
I have knocked the wall down between my kitchen and dining room to make one big room.. I have found that the floor levels were actually rather uneven so am wanting to level them.
One floor (the old dining room, which will actually now be the new kitchen side ) - is made of about an inch thick of black bitumen like substance (its an old council house not sure if that makes any difference).
the old kitchen appears to be concrete floor with quarry tiles over the top. I have removed the supporting wall inbetween the two rooms (and replaced with the RSJ as designed by structural engineer).
I have removed the parts of the flooring which seemed to be causing the unlevel - and now i have the following situation:

starting from left to right:

bitumen floor ->a foot of concrete base floor (inch lower) -> line of bricks (down to foundations i guess, where old supporting wall was) -> about 3 foot of concrete base flooring -> old quarry tile kitchen floor (inch higher)

So the bitumen floor and quarry tile floor are pretty much level. I am wanting to fill up the gap in between. Should i just mix concrete and fill up this 4 foot by 1 inch gap? I could then pour self leveling over the whole room if this helps? also, would you recommend latex compound? Can this go over concrete, quarry tile and bitumen?

I do not know what to use for this. Any ideas? I aslo want to make sure I dont get any damp, do i need to just damp proof above the old bricks - or do i need a damp membrane over the whole concrete area?

Any help greatly appreciated !

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:37 am