Levelling an untiled part of a floor
Help, advice, information, answers and tips on all types of flooring from laminate and carpet to timber and vinyl

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
JoeSmith
Apprentice
Apprentice

Levelling an untiled part of a floor

Post by JoeSmith » Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:48 pm

Hi All

We have a room in which the flooring mostly consists of tiles on a concrete base. There's a space in one corner (about 15m2) where there are no tiles and where the flooring is just the old concrete - this bit used to be partitioned off as a bedroom. This corner is therefore an average of about 1cm below the level of the surrounding tiles. This means that the floor's going to have to be levelled out before we can really use the room.

Can someone tell me the best way to go about doing this? I've been told various ways to do this including pouring on self-levelling cement, spreading tiling grout over the area or just using very wet standard cement. Is any one of these methods better than any other method or is there a better method than all of them. There's no moisture that comes up through the concrete which is a bonus.

My long term plan is to cover the floor with oak planks that currently form the floor of an old hay loft in an outbuilding. That's way off though so just getting a flat floor to make the room useable and which will be covered with rugs is my priority. I'm also focusing on cost at the moment and trying to keep it as low as possible so hints, tips and advice really will be very useful.

All the best

Joe

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

floor

Post by welsh brickie » Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:15 pm

1cm is a lot for self level I would pva the floor and use a sand&cement mix, lay and screed it from the joint to as thin as you can, like a ramp if you will.Wait for it to set ,Pva the entire floor and lay a latex self level compound over the floor.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:05 am