Light fitting over decorarive plaster ceiling rose
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Cromack5000
Labourer
Labourer

Light fitting over decorarive plaster ceiling rose

Post by Cromack5000 » Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:15 am

I have a number of light fittings to be installed, but nobody seems to have any idea how (including electricians). But it's such a common thing to do that I have no idea why this should be so difficult.

Currently, where there is a standard white plastic ceiling rose, I instead want a decorative plaster rose. To do this, I will need to unwire the current rose, wire it back up inside some kind of junction box and secure it inside the ceiling. I'll then be left with 3 core wire coming down, which goes through a hole in the plaster rose. But the light fitting also has a 3 core wire. How do I connect the two when there's not enough room in the fitting's own metal rose to put connectors?

Any ideas? Is there an easier way? Are people justified in looking at me as if I talking Martian when I tell them I'm doing this?

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Light fitting over decorarive plaster ceiling rose

Post by ericmark » Sat Jun 27, 2015 6:44 pm

Hello Martian,
What one must consider is any lighting point has likely four wires.
1) Earth
2) Neutral
3) Permanent line
4) Switched line
But the light does not need the permanent line so some method is required to terminate the permanent line without connecting it to the light.

Be it a maintenance free junction box or replacing the three connector block with four connector block the result is the same.

In the main a maintenance free junction box is the preferred method and if an electrician did not suggest this I would ask if he was really an electrician?

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:26 am