Light switch doesn't work
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Lubu
Labourer
Labourer

Light switch doesn't work

by Lubu » Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:15 pm

I have fitted an Ikea light fitting, the light works but will not switch off. I know I need to do something with the neautral switch wire but i'm not sure what!

I have three blue wires, I think i know which is the wire for the switch, I have 3 brown wires and 3 earths.

The light fitting has two terminals, live and neutral, both with two holes. Using a connector I have put the three browns into the live terminal and the two blues into the neutral terminal. The third blue I placed in the second neutral terminal hole.

As the light wouldn´t switch off I tried placing the third blue wire into the 2nd hole in the live terminal, this caused the power to trip!

Please help!

ericmark

Re: Light switch doesn't work

by ericmark » Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:11 pm

[quote="Lubu"]I have fitted an Ikea light fitting, the light works but will not switch off. I know I need to do something with the neautral switch wire but i'm not sure what!

[In a way correct it is blue wires you have problems with but not the neutral]

I have three blue wires, I think i know which is the wire for the switch, I have 3 brown wires and 3 earths.

The light fitting has two terminals, live and neutral, both with two holes. Using a connector I have put the three browns into the live terminal and the two blues into the neutral terminal. The third blue I placed in the second neutral terminal hole.

[3 browns do not connect to lamp they are called loop wires and all just connect together. The 2 blues were correct the third blue should have had brown sleeving on it and goes to brown on light]

As the light wouldn´t switch off I tried placing the third blue wire into the 2nd hole in the live terminal, this caused the power to trip!

[Not surprised when light was switched on this would be direct short]

Please help![/quote]
Does that help?

Lubu
Labourer
Labourer

by Lubu » Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:51 pm

Erickmark - you are a saviour!

Thank you so much for your help - my light now works perfectly!

Lubu :D

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:31 pm