Light Switch help in a new build
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
grwharris
Labourer
Labourer

Light Switch help in a new build

by grwharris » Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:54 pm

Hi, I'm looking to replace a standard dual light switch with a dual dimmer switch. Each switch controls a different light in my new build flat and no other switch in the flat controls those lights (I think that makes them both 1 way?).

I took the light switch off the wall to see how it was configured, and it is wired with brown wires only, so no useful colour coding.

The wiring is as follows:

-One wire links COM to COM.
-Another wire goes into L1 on the left switch
-a 3rd wire goes into L1 on the right switch.
-No wires go into either L2 port/connection.

I didn't change any of the wiring, I haven't even bought a replacement dimmer yet but now the original switch doesn't work for some reason (the other lights in my flat do work and they are all controlled by the same switch on the fuse box). I was wondering if one or both of the L2 connections may have popped out when I took the switch off the wall? As the lights aren't 2 way I'm not sure if L2s are even required. I'm pretty close to calling out an electrician, but please can someone advise me?

Many thanks in advance

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:58 pm

Hi if you didn't disconnect anything then it must be a loose connection,
All switch wires should be Brown as they are all live at some time,
if you look closely you will probably find the 2 wires connected to your L1's are infact sleeved over Grey & Black the true Brown is live in linked to both commons of sw's, the others are sw-lives back to each light,
L2's not used for 1 way sw.
Regards SPARX

DIYMonkey
Labourer
Labourer

by DIYMonkey » Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:24 pm

Grwharris you dont happen to live in a Wimpey home do you - sounds like exactly the same problem I'm having...! Taken the switch off Brown (just brown no sleeves) wires and then put back doesn't work!!

DIYMonkey

grwharris
Labourer
Labourer

by grwharris » Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:37 pm

Hi DIYMonkey - it's a Mount Anvil home, though I guess they use the same 'techniques' as Wimpey for wiring homes. Having a battle with them to come out and fix it too...

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:30 am