Light switch with warning light to replace existing switch
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Philo
Labourer
Labourer

Light switch with warning light to replace existing switch

by Philo » Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:45 pm

I wish to install a light switch which has a small red warning light on it to replace my current standard switch. The current switch has 3 connections, brown is in L1, blue is in L2 and L3 is unoccupied.
My replacement switch has four connections labelled L in, N in, L out, N out. how should I wire it?

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Light switch with warning light to replace existing switch

by Mr White » Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:04 pm

The new switch is a double pole one gang with neon indicator.
Your existing switch is 1 gang 2 way.

Your new switch ideally needs a neutral to work.
Your existing switch has no neutral. (It has no need for one)
The cables you have are live and switched live.

You can connect your new switch in place of your old one, and you maybe lucky in that the neon will illuminate (slightly) but that depends on what lamp you will be switching.
It would have worked on an old incandescent lamp or even a halogen lamp, but if you have a modern LED chances are it will not illuminate, and even if it does, it will work in reverse. (When the lamp is on, the neon will be off, and when the lamp is off the neon will be on)

Also double pole switches often require a deeper than normal back box.

Philo
Labourer
Labourer

by Philo » Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:01 pm

Thanks again Mr W. However, I still do not know which connectors to use. |f I am connecting to a live switched then am I correct in assuming that i should use "Live In" and "Live Out" simply ignoring the Neutral connectors?

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

by ericmark » Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:36 pm

I do have MiHome Energenie wifi light switches in my house that do not require a neutral and a red LED shows when on, but at over £16 it seems rather expensive for what you want, I use them in bedrooms together with remote control to turn off/on from in the bed.

However as Mr White points out they are deep, and I have spacers behind the switch to be able to fit it.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:13 am